PREVENTION OF FELINE LEISHMANIOSIS
It is advised to protect (in endemic areas):
- Individual cats from the risk of developing infection and clinical disease.
- Feline population to improve the control of L. infantum infection in the vector.
- General prevention of sand fly bites is based on the same procedures as for dogs.
- Topical insecticides
Insecticides currently available for cats have no demonstrated effect in preventing the bites of sandflies.
- Most pyrethroids are toxic for cats. Flumethrin collars are at present the onlypyrethroid formulation licensed for cats and was demonstrated to reduce the incidence of L. infantum in cats in a field study.
- Test blood donors by antibody detection and blood PCR.
Female Phlebotomus perniciosus unfed